- 1 What Is A Continuous Composter?
- 2 Why Do You Need A Continuous Composter?
- 3 What Problem Will A Continuous Composter Solve?
- 4 When Should You Use A Continuous Composter?
- 5 How To Use A Continuous Composter?
- 6 Factors To Consider Before Buying A Continuous Composter
- 7 Product Comparison table
- 8 Best Continuous Composter [Buying Guide]
- 9 Conclusion
- 10 Frequently Asked Questions
- 10.1 1. What Is The Average Price Of A Medium-Sized Continuous Composter?
- 10.2 2. What Are The Qualities Of A Good Composting Bin?
- 10.3 3. Why Is Aeration Important In Composting Bins?
- 10.4 4. What Material Should You Not Put In Composting Bins?
- 10.5 5. Is Tumbling Design Good For A Composting Bin?
In recent years we have seen an increase in the level of greenhouse gases. Scientists around the world are warning us of the accelerated level of global warming, which must be controlled. With this environmental awareness, people are adopting eco-friendly ways of lifestyle.
One of the most environmentally conscious ways of reducing your carbon footprint is by composting leftovers. The sustainable practice of composting is best performed by continuous composters. The market is full of countless composters where each product claims to be the best. It can be daunting for a person to go through numerous options and seek a perfect composter.
To make the selection process simple for you, here is a list of some of the best continuous composters. However, before we dive into the products, read this mini-guide about composters:
What Is A Continuous Composter?
A continuous composter, like the name suggests, stands for a composting device that keeps on running without designated breaks. Often people need to put leftover biodegradable material and replace it quickly. However, with a continuous composter, one just needs to dump the material in the composter gradually. There is no need to replace the existing manure.
Why Do You Need A Continuous Composter?
There are many reasons for choosing continuous composter. The primary reason is that it is convenient to use and is low maintenance. Since you don’t have to remove the manure from your last composting process, it will save your time. Moreover, once you remove the manure at the end, wash it simply with water, and you are done.
It doesn’t cause a nasty smell, and neither does it attract rodents. The composter keeps on moving, so you won’t find the process tedious. This prevents rodents from entering the surface.
If you are someone who is short on time but wants to decompose their kitchen waste, then continuous composting should be your pick.
What Problem Will A Continuous Composter Solve?
A continuous composter will mainly solve the problem of maintaining a composting pit. One just has to toss leftover vegetables and scrap paper in the continuous composter and forget about it. You don’t have to keep checking the decomposing material for rotten scent or hidden rodents.
Moreover, continuous composter will help save a lot of time. Actually, this has been a major issue with composting that people cannot spare time for the same. So here you have a continuous composter to help you with your time issues. You have to consider what thing you can put in composter
When Should You Use A Continuous Composter?
Any time is ideal for using a continuous composter. There are different types of continuous composters available for varied lifestyles. If you have a large outdoor space, then you can use a bin style continuous composter. Otherwise, you can also use a compact device.
However, you need to remember a crucial factor about the continuous composter, the span of the process. Continuous composting is not the fastest process. In fact, the process will take as long as almost 45 days to convert the waste materials into manure. So, keep a check on this factor before going for it.
How To Use A Continuous Composter?
There is no one specific way to use continuous composters. However, generally, there are three steps involved in using one:
- First, you need to put the biodegradable scrap in the bin.
- Secondly, you need to mix the compost periodically and put more scrap. Now, different composting units have their own spinning cycles. Therefore, you need to watch out for the addition of scraps.
- Finally, when the bin’s capacity is full and compost is ready, you need to empty the bin. In fact, most of the composters have an outlet at the bottom. So, the compost will find its way out on its own, and you don’t have to move an inch for that.
If you want to learn more about Do’s and Don’ts of a compost bin, then take a look at this video. It will help you get better compost material and results:
Factors To Consider Before Buying A Continuous Composter
There are many factors that you need to consider while buying a continuous composter. Buying a decomposing device is not an easy task. Getting a wrong product may result in foul smell, methane emission, and pests. Often people just buy the most popular and the cheapest composter available in the market. As a result, they don’t get the desired results and then end up giving on composting.
Here are some factors that one should consider before buying a composting device:
> The Frequency Of Compost and Time
Continuous composting is a prolonged method of composting. Therefore, one needs to invest in this method only if you are ready to wait more than 45 days for a batch to compost. The frequency of compost is slow in continuous composting, and those who frequently need manure should avoid it.
> Resources and Material
The continuous composting method does not involve many resources. You don’t need to buy any activators to facilitate the composting process. Additionally, neither do you need to keep a check on it continuously. You just need to mix the compost every once in a while. Continuous composting is suited for those who don’t have time for high maintenance decomposing but want to practice sustainable living.
Continuous composting can be practiced in a wide variety of spaces. You can buy a large composter if you have a spacious back lawn or a yard. It is suited for those who want to decompose more than just kitchen waste. In a large composter, you can put chunks of wood, large cardboard boxes, and lots of leaves.
You can buy a medium-size composter if you are just looking for decomposing leaves and kitchen waste. The smallest level of composter can be brought only for kitchen waste generated by one or two people.
If you don’t buy a composter according to the size of your place or the quantity of material, then you can encounter a number of problems. Some of these problems are unheated compost, unpleasant fragrance, and the presence of pests.
Here, We have compared most purchased composters and came up with below table based on above factors.
Product Comparison table
|Products||Compost Frequency||Body Material||Capacity||Size||Price|
|Envirocycle Composting Tumbler Bin||2 Weeks To A Month||Food Safe, BPA, Rust-Free, UV and Antioxidant Protected||17 and 35 Gallons||25.4 x 21.5 x 27.7 Inches|
|HOTFROG Tumbling Composter||2 Weeks Per Compost||BPA Free, UV inhibited recycled polyethylene||37 Gallons||30 x 28 x 26 Inches||Check price|
|Mantis Compact ComposTumbler||4 to 6 Weeks||Non-toxic, powder-coated galvannealed steel||88 Gallons||42 x 33 x 43 Inches||Check price|
|Spin Bin Composter||4 to 5 weeks||100% Recycled Plastic||60 Gallons||26 x 32.5 x 45 inches|
|Food Cycler Indoor Kitchen Composter||3 Hours||Metal||1 Gallon||17x17x15 Inches||Check price|
Best Continuous Composter [Buying Guide]
1. Envirocycle No Assembly Required Composting Tumbler Bin
The brand Envirocycle has made a name for itself in the world of composting. Its latest compost tea maker and tumbler bin are one of the most popular home composters available in the market. The best thing about this product is how well it goes with spacious gardens and small apartments alike.
You can be assured about the quality of the Envirocycle composting tumbler bin as it is made with food-grade material. It is user-friendly and comes fully assembled.
2. FCMP Outdoor HF-DBC4000 Dual Body HOTFROG Tumbling Composter
- TUMBLING COMPOSTER – Avoid digging and mixing your compost pile by hand. The tumbling design makes mixing easy and efficient. Just close the door and turn it 5-6 times every 2-3 days. In hot sunny conditions and with a proper balance of ingredients the compost can finish in as little as 2 weeks.
- EASY TO USE – Fantastic for beginners! The large openings and removable doors make it easy to add scraps/clippings and remove finished compost. Deep fins on the body provide great ergonomic handholds.
- TWO COMPOSTER BODIES ARE BETTER THAN ONE – Two separate sides allow the first side to finish while leaving the second side available to add fresh scraps/clippings. Continuously swapping sides after finishing will create an uninterrupted flow of rich, healthy compost. Total capacity 37 gallons (5 cu ft)
- EXCELLENT AERATION – All our composter models feature aeration holes as well as deep fins to break up clumps inside the chamber and mix lots of oxygen into the compost. Tumbling composters allow far greater aeration than standard models.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION – BPA free UV inhibited recycled polyethylene is contact safe and will not degrade under direct sunlight. The painted galvanized steel frame is corrosion resistant and will look great for years.
When people imagine composting bins, they think of large bulky installments. However, products like FCMP’s large tumbling composter help improve the age-old concept of composting bins. This product has an innovative and functional design.
It’s tumbling design is very convenient. You don’t have to mix the compost in this product manually. One just needs to roll it 5 to 6 times every 3 days. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned composter, this product is a perfect choice for everyone.
3. Mantis CT02001 Compact ComposTumbler
- Enclosed composter drum eliminates odors and prevent access to pets and pests
- Air vent at top of compost bin allows free flow of oxygen into drum
- Drainage vents allow excess moisture to escape composter.Drum Materials : Non-toxic powder-coated galvannealed steel, rust-resistant,BPA-free, food grade plastic end caps. Frame : Tubular steel with black powder-coated finish
- Compost tumbler barrel features removable door for easy loading and unloading
- Compost Tumbler is made in USA. Time to finish compost: finished compost in 4 to 6 weeks. Compost times depend on ambient temperature and combination of materials being composted
For those who are looking for a sturdy and reliable composter, the Mantis CT02001 ComposTumbler is a great option. It is a classic tumbling composter that has a capacity of 9.5 bushels.
The device produces fresh compost quickly. Unlike most heavy composting bins, the Mantis product is uncomplicated. Even beginners can load and unload it without much hassle.
4. Spin Bin Composter Tumbling Compost Bin
The Spin Bin Composter Tumbling Compost Bin is a classic and typical composting bin. It has a capacity of 60 gallons, which is more than sufficient for a large garden. It churns out fresh compost every week. However, if you slow down the process, composting can take as much as a month.
The aeration process in the Spin Bin Composter is excellent, which ensures you get rich and healthy manure. This aeration process is backed by 20 ventilation slots.
5. Food Cycler Indoor Kitchen Composter
- 3 step process makes composting kitchen waste a snap
- Reduces kitchen waste up to 90% of it's original volume
- Composts to a viable soil amendment in less than 3 hours
- Odorless and environmentally conscious
- No venting, draining or additives required
The Food Cycler Indoor Kitchen Composter is a three-step kitchen composter. It is credited with decomposing up to 90 percent of the kitchen waste. You don’t have to be an expert to use this device. There is no need for any draining or manual aeration with the Food Cycler bin. The design of the product is very compact, and it fits small spaces easily. Additionally, it performs odorless composting, which is another positive feature.
All the products mentioned in the list have great qualities of an effective and efficient composter. You won’t regret purchasing any product recommended on the list. They are made of food-grade material, which ensures that the manure they produce is safe to use. Our recommendations have BPA free construction material.
Another great thing about these products is that they are all suitable for beginners and professionals alike. These simplistic devices have increased the number of people who compost their own biodegradable waste. You should buy one of these and make the earth a greener place to live.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Is The Average Price Of A Medium-Sized Continuous Composter?
The average price of a medium size composter depends on its features and construction material. However, on average, you can find a decent medium size composter between the range of 50 US dollars to 200 US dollars.
2. What Are The Qualities Of A Good Composting Bin?
A good composter must be made up of durable and sturdy material. If the plastic of a composter is weak, then the unpleasant smell from the degrading mulch moves out of the bin. A good composting bin should be BPA free and have excellent aeration.
3. Why Is Aeration Important In Composting Bins?
Aeration is a crucial feature of a composting bin. It is necessary because the presence of air helps in distributing heat throughout the compost. Additionally, it also prevents the culmination of stretch. Bad aeration causes the rotting of biodegradable material instead of decomposing it in an earthy manner.
4. What Material Should You Not Put In Composting Bins?
One should avoid putting glossy paper or laminated paper in composting bins. The microplastics from glossy paper and lamination pollutes the manure. Citrus fruits like orange peels, lemons, and chilies should be added in bins in moderation. The excess of citrus objects in compost increases the acidic nature of manure.
5. Is Tumbling Design Good For A Composting Bin?
Yes, the tumbling design is good for a composting bin. The main reason why tumbling design should be preferred is that it makes the churning of compost easy. It also helps in aerating the decomposing material.
Want to know more about gardening ?
Fill in your email address in the form below and you'll receive all the latest updates directly in your in-box.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.
Last update on 2021-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API